Our Volunteers help improve the Patient Experience
Our aim is to support and compliment the services provided by the trust staff, ultimately improving the experience of patients and visitors.
Over 400 volunteers currently help at the hospital. They are clearly visible in the smart uniform and are always willing to help. Volunteering is a rewarding and uplifting experience and gives you the opportunity to be involved at your local hospital and give your time to help other people
Volunteer roles available at the Hospital
- Retail Assistants – Helping in Shops or cafes
- Hospital Guides – To accompany patients and visitors to their destinations
- Ward Helper – Assist with non-clinical duties on ward areas
- Mealtime Helper – Assist patients at mealtimes
- Patient experience survey – To meet with patients and record details of their experience.
Anyone over the age of 16 can apply to help at the hospital. You will need to commit to three hours per week for a minimum of 16 weeks.
We will offer an appointment to meet with the Voluntary Service Manager to discuss the most suitable role for you. The meetings usually last approximately 20 minutes. You will be offered an appointment when we received a completed application form.
As part of the recruitment process you will be asked to attend a health screening interview to ensure appropriate vaccinations are up to date and that you are generally fit and well for the role you have chosen. We take care to offer you the most suitable role which means that you will have a great experience. Some of our volunteers have been with us for over 25 years!
We will ask for 2 references from people who have known you for at least 1 year and where necessary we will carry out a Criminal Record Check
If you wish to be accompanied by a support worker we will ask you both to complete the application process
How to apply
Complete an application form and send to: The Voluntary Service Department, Stockport NHS Foundation Trust , Poplar Grove, Stockport SK2 7JE or by email to: email@example.com
Quick reference information
- Voluntary Service Manager, Sally Cassini Tel: 0161 419 5400.
- Assistant Voluntary Service, Manager June Heywood Tel: 0161 419 5008
- Opening times 9.00am -4.00pm.
- We are located towards the back of the hospital site next adjacent to the railway line.
What people say about our service
Joan, Ward Manager
'On B4 we love our volunteers. They are always happy and willing to assist staff and patients alike. They are hardworking polite and welcoming'
Cancer Services team
'Cancer Services Teams would like to express the sincere appreciation to Stepping Hill Volunteers whose generosity enhances our patients experiences - thank you Volunteers!'
Child Development team
'A very big thank you to our volunteers for their hard work and dedication'